Saturday, October 5, 2013

My 2 Cents: Some Love Appreciation

So, let me start off this post by saying that I really have no idea if I can even write about this ambiguous feeling that we are all trying to find in our lives. First of all, I am 20 something and have barely reached the edge of the little bubble I have been living in for the past 20 years of my life... so to dedicate a complete post to this thing called "love" is a bit gutsy! But, as stated in the title, these are my 2 cents on what I believe or have observed.


I am currently a senior at college and am about to graduate this upcoming May. My major is Hospitality Management, which means hotels, event planning, restaurants, tourism, etc. A lot of my fellow classmates are females who have been in long term relationships and I'd say about 15-20 of them are currently engaged and are planning to be married this upcoming summer! Can you believe it?! I talked to a few of them and they've already picked out their wedding colors and theme or are currently looking for a house to move into with their soon to be spouse! A HOUSE WITH YOUR SPOUSE AT 20 SOMETHING?! It boggles my mind, because while they're doing that... I'm over here stressing about finding a decent job and moving all of my things back home with my parents! It's insane to think that my classmates are in long term relationships and are getting married so soon!

With engaged classmates everywhere, it makes me think about how they've reached that point in their relationship. A very close friend recently confessed to me that he might be getting engaged very soon, to his girlfriend of 8 months. 8 months... HOW DOES HE KNOW?! I played devil's advocate while talking to him, to make sure this was something he was sure of. Don't get me wrong, I am so incredibly happy for him, but as a good friend I feel as though a conversation like this does need to happen. He reassured me that he's thought through this countless times and has talked to his girlfriend about it too. He's contemplated the fact that it could be infatuation, puppy love, or just the fact that he is completely enamored by his girlfriend, but in the end he has come to the conclusion that this is "right". He told me that there were never any doubts in the back of his mind, he feels at peace with the decision he's made and being with her is unlike any other feeling he has ever experienced with another person. My friend mentioned that in the past he's felt as though he's settled, even though he really cared about a person, and this time was very different. He wakes up every day, excited that he is able to be with her! I tried to understand this concept, but having not felt it before, I was a bit confused. All he could tell me was that there are no nagging thoughts in the back of his mind, no doubts, just the fact that he knows it is all worth it and that she's the one he wants to spend his life with and raise a family with.

Alright, so at this point in writing the post, my heart is swelling with all this talk of love and finding love! I've had conversations with so many of my friends, asking them how they know this person is right or how they know they're in love. One thing that seems to always pop up is the feeling of it being "worth it" and not settling. I should probably take this piece of advice more seriously... considering that I believe saving a relationship, no matter how unhappy i was, was always "worth it" and that the way I was feeling was "worth it". Well, not always the case.

It's true, I'm a relationship type of gal, but as of lately I'm focusing on myself, my schoolwork, my future, family, friends and building meaningful relationships with other people in general. I guess what I wanted to originally do was list out things that I've learned with love, but it seems a bit cheesy. Oh well, these are small tips I've learned along the way:

  1. Love always prevails (and this doesn't even mean romantic love, but self love)
  2. Do not settle (and I think we all have a small voice in our head telling us that this just isn't "it"
  3. Love and being In Love are two completely different things
  4. A relationship should be between two independent people who can then come together to make an item
  5. What you have is sharing a moment together, and if it passes that's ok too 
I think this post is getting a bit rambly, but those are my 2 cents on that subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment