Wednesday, August 14, 2013

JMiloveU - Sophomore Year

Anddddd, the trip down memory lane is not over yet! Onto my sophomore year of college! (: Well, I think as a sophomore, everyone has this small idea in their head that they know a lot more than they did their first year at college. I mean, you're living off campus and you finally get a car!! You've "started from the bottom, now you're hereeee". Just kidding... I actually did not have a car my second year at JMU, so i relied a lot on the bus system and some great friends who didn't mind picking me up from every where and dropping me off (THANK YOU FRANDS, you know who you are).


 Sophomore year spent with these two ladies, Trang and Melanie! (: They were my partners in crime and every weekend, we got ready together and went out to tear up the town! Just kidding, we did go out but during second semester, Trang and I became serious grannies and stayed in most of the time. Some of my favorite memories were getting ready with Melanie and Trang!


During my sophomore year, I also became a lot more involved in the student organizations I was part of. I was social chair for VSA and the above picture is the entire exec board at our christmas themed general body meeting (: From left to right: (top) Bryan, Niki, Mary, Natalie, Phuong, Loan, Jacob (bottom) Han, Tifford, and myself. Being on an exec board with this group was so much fun! I was able to take lead and put my ideas out there as well as plan and organize different social events for the club that would help members mingle more with new members and create a community for incoming freshmen. My second semester at JMU, it was a bit harder to be on the exec board because one of my classes ran during the exec meetings. It was a bit harder to keep up with all of the things we had planned. I really wish I was still part of the exec team for VSA, I miss this group of people a lot! 



I also became a lot more involved in the dance community at JMU. I was part of a dance crew called: Visual Distortions Dance Crew and started to lead them as well with my dance partner, Joseph. I was basically an unofficial secretary for the entire crew. Thinking back on it now, it's been such a journey with this group of people. We grew from 4 people dancing my first year, to the pictured group above by the end of the year. Our dance family was growing! I started training a lot more in hip hop and made it a goal of mine to be part of Mozaic dance team by next year (spoiler alert: I did it my junior year!). Anyways, this group of people are like family. We've been through a lot together and it's been always an interesting journey!



I BECAME A BIG! (: the first picture is my entire VSA family; which is super rare because everyone has crazy schedules and that was probably the only time we've had all of us in a place together. We're a little bit of a crazy bunch... but that's the best part! In the second picture, this is me and my littles, Kat and Tuan. I was able to get twins last year and me and Kat clicked right away. Tuan, on the other hand, he was a bit of a surprise but they're the best littles who always have my back no matter what. I mean, we are the best looking famiry everrrr! also, if you ever sat in on our conversations during our family dinners at bdubs, you'd understand! there are too many coincidences to argue otherwise! My twinnies are the absolute best. 

Alright, this post is getting a bit lengthy... so more pictures!!


i think sophomore year is when i started getting a little crazy and wanted to experiment with "my look"... so i decided to dye my hair a bright red. yikes! i still miss the bright red hair today, but my parents would never allow it again. and it's such a hair color to maintain!


oh yes, my 20th birthday party... let's just say that this night was not a doozy. the theme for my birthday that year was: GI Joes & Jungle Hoes. I was a bit obsessed with leopard print (still am...) so this party was perfect! I wish i could say i remember that night! let's just say that it was a short night for me...


me & my little: Kat!

some of Visual Distortions
I think the one lesson i learned that year that was the most important, was to never ever take anything or anyone for granted. in November of my sophomore year, there was a tragic accident on campus at JMU where a student was struck by a bus and killed. That student was one of my friends and was part of Visual Distortions. I was reminded that nothing in life is ever guaranteed and that we should always be appreciative and thankful for the people in our lives. Losing her has reminded me to always be grateful and to never take anyone who means something to me for granted. I think about her every day. She continues to inspire me in life and in dance. I cannot believe that this upcoming November will mark 2 years. 

RIP - Jane Hwang
Please, do not take anyone in your life for granted. Especially those that mean the most to you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment