Monday, July 29, 2013

#teamKODACHROME

This past weekend, I travelled to Richmond, VA for a Kodachrome Summer Intensive workshop with my best fwend, Perry! (: It was such a great experience being able to dance again and seeing all of my old friends as well as making new ones. Kodachrome is a dance community based in Virginia and North Carolina that puts on dance workshops once a month at different colleges in the state. Each workshop offers a different style in dance, not just hip hop, and allows all of us to meet new people and meet local choreographers as well as choreographers from the west coast and other areas. Basically, Kodachrome's mission is to #exposedance and bringing in new experiences for people in all forms of dance as well as all different levels. We are a huge community that has expanded from Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, etc. Kodachrome is an amazing family that I am so grateful to be a part of.
                                          
When I am talking about a huge and amazing family, I really do mean it! The vibe that Kodachrome emanates at each workshop I've attended is always friendly, approachable and familiar. This is a family that welcomes you with open arms and allows you to meet so many new and different people who are always going to be extremely supportive of you in all of your future endeavors. I'm glad to have been adopted into this family and am even more excited to be a representative of the Kodachrome workshop at JMU this year!   

Teachers (left to right) - Top: Tierra Green, Michael Esteban, Reza Mina
Bottom: Malcolm "Blaze" Little, Jake Pesquira, Dion Denis, Alonzo Williams
The teachers from this weekend's intensive were so diverse in styles and each one brought a different dance and life lesson when they taught. It really made me appreciate the dance community even more and furthered my passion to want to start a community just like this after I've graduated. The second day, we had an entire workshop taught by choreographers part of the dance crew "Rhythm City" from the Bronx, NY! They drove all the way down from New York at 4am to come teach at Kodachrome which made me so much more appreciative of what they were doing. Each class was different and pushed me in a different way. My body is extremely tired and sore from this weekend, but I am definitely hungry to learn more. I'm so inspired by everyone that I really cannot wait for the upcoming school year and being able to travel all over and learn more! Hooray! Anyways, enough about all of my revelations and life knowledge I've compiled this past weekend. Below are some snapshots I took (: 



3 above pictures: Teachers from Rhythm City
hanging out with the teachers, ya knowww






My FIRST Kodachrome apparel! (: The newest crew neck that they've created! I love it so much and it's so soft on the inside (: The picture on the left is the front with the sleeves saying "EXPRESS YOURSELF" and the picture on the right is the back of the crew neck.
Mah Best Fwend - Perry (:
New Friends! Hadiya &Megan
Marbien! (: matching tourist couple 

No comments:

Post a Comment